Just when you think your life can't possibly be any more exciting (what with that exotic jaunt to Redding followed by the prescription for an extra half a milligram of testosterone cream every day, followed by several chocolate truffles brought to the last class you taught and which you felt obliged to eat because it was, after all, a potluck), what do you get in the mail but your new surprise AARP membership card!
My dear Jackie signed US up. All I have to do is put my signature on the line and I will become Officially Old (as opposed to Blissfully Retired).
I suppose this is a good time to throw out my latest confession/admission: Yesterday I went to Tom's on Cortland (hair salon) and had my gray vanquished once again. I gave it my best shot. You know I did. I spent over a year dealing with the transition from dyed to full-fledged gray. Bravo to me! But when all was said and done, I only liked it about 20 percent of the time. The other 80 percent I felt that I looked washed out, faded and dull (and as a result, I FELT more that way, too). I wish I could say that I resisted and stood out as a shining example of "Gray is Glorious! " or "YOU GO, GRAY GIRL!" but such was not the case.
I told Tom to take me back to something akin to my natural dark brown. He did, but he also added a few reddish highlights that turned out to be more prominent than I thought they would. Let's just say you can now tell that Olivia and I are related.
Do I regret this regression?
Nah. I'm totally relieved. It helps to offset some of the AARP shock.